Saturday, May 28, 2011

Humble Hero

My Dad was a WWII veteran. I never heard him talk about the war until my daughter asked him to come speak to her history class when she was in 6th grade. He was hesitant to, but he couldn't turn her down. He took his uniform to show, and the students sat in amazement as he spoke about his experiences. That was the first time that I had heard that he was the target of a Kamakazi. But lucky for my Dad, the Kamakazi overshot his target. My Dad talked, answered questions and cried through 2 class periods that day (and I didn't have my video camera!). It seemed to help him, after all those years, finally deal with what he had been through. After that he spoke in other grandchildren's classes too. Darcee later wrote an essay about him titled "A Humble Hero" which won two contests! The last line of her essay was "That humble hero is my Grandad!" He is mine too!
Thank you to all veterans and military personnel for what you have given and continue to give to our country today!!!! Find a veteran, and give them a hug. I would love to be able to give my Dad a hug, along with some pretty special uncles too!!

1 comment: